Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Welcome to my blog :)

Since you can put so very little in your About Me section, I'm going to use my very first blog to tell you a little more, well, about me but to also clue you in to what this blog will be about. So, without further ado...

I grew up in Frederick, MD and began working at AT&T when I was 19 years old. I then transferred to GA (I LOVE GA!) where I lived and worked for 7 years until I was downsized after 15 wonderful years of service. The last 5 years with AT&T, I was a Quality Assurance & Analysis manager, becoming certified as a Six Sigma Greenbelt about a year before I was laid off. I learned a lot from that job and, for the first time in my life, realized that I got as much enjoyment from working with numbers as I do writing. I decided that maybe this would be a good time to move closer to home so I relocated to Davis, WV. I currently work as a Financial Assistant for a non-profit organization that fosters WV artists by offering an outlet to sell their crafts as well as providing training and workshops to both artists and the general public. I developed a business oriented entreprenurial spirit after I moved to this small town where about 95% of the business are family oriented small business and real estate offices. Although I love what I do, I'd really like to do it from home and try my hand at running my own business. I realize it's going to be an uphill battle, at least for a while, but I look forward to the challenge and the satisfaction that I know will come along once I make this dream come true.

Sooooo... I am currently in the process of starting a Virtual Assistant (VA) business where I'll be able to offer the same level of service that I do now only I'll be able to do it from home and be able to enjoy the diversity of helping other small business owners handle their administrative tasks. Tasks that they may not have the time to do or lack the expertise to handle successfully. And it gives me the opportunity to offer my assistance to people that need an assistant but whose budget may not allow for a full-time in-house assistant. So, wish me luck on that little venture. I'm sure you'll hear more about it in my blog. Which brings me to the reason for creating this blog.

This blog is really intended to be a hodge podge of the things that tend to run through my mind on a daily basis and, believe me, there's lots...lol It'll also be a chronicling of my journey of becoming a business owner and all of the ups and downs associated with it. Here's to hoping there are more ups than downs :) Finally, this is a learning experience for me. I've never blogged before but have grown to understand the importance of Social Networking/Marketing and it's about time I learned how to put it to good use.

So, please join me in this little experiment of mine and I really hope that you enjoy what I have to say as much as I hope to enjoy sharing my thoughts with all of you. Also, as I said, this is a learning experience for me so any feedback or suggestions is greatly appreciated. TIA :)

No comments: